These winter months are difficult no doubt, long, dark and cold. By the time February rolls around everyone in my house is ready for Spring, but here in the Midwest we still have almost two months of winter left. Caden has been asking almost daily how many more sleeps until Spring and Summer.
Being a stay at home mom can make winter even more isolating. Feeling like we are locked in, living in a cave and cabin fever times ten. After the “bug” hitting our house in January everyone at home, quarantining and at home learning left the reality hit even a little harder.
So here we are into February and I am trying my best to keep to my go to strategies for fighting off the winter blues. Here are a few things I find helpful, would love to know what’s on your list.
- Carve out the time for daily prayer, reflection or spiritual reading.
- Get out of my sweats and dressed for the day. Fix my hair and put on a little makeup, even if I have nowhere to go.
- Open all of the curtains and blinds in the house, regardless if I will be going in the room or not during the day.
- Despite the temps, get outside for a little fresh air.
- Bake a yummy treat or snack for my family once during the week. It brightens my day to see the kids excitement over a new baked good.
- Get out of the house a couple mornings out of the week, besides school pickup.
- Move my body and have an exercise routine, it helps boost endorphins.
- Limit my sugar intake, it helps fight off the fatigue.
Laura Range says
These are all great ideas. Definitely agree with the opening blinds and curtains! I also like to buy $3.99 bouquets of flowers from Aldi to add some beauty and life to our table during these long winter months.
Everyday Ann says
Love the idea of flowers! I will have to keep that in mind on my next Aldis run.